The narratives are all set for Game 2 with the Penguins.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight here, but please check the playoff-specific rules. They’re different from the regular season.
Themes from Game 1’s second-day coverage include how the Islanders (particularly Ryan Pulock and Adam Pelech) held Sidney Crosby in check, how Robin Lehner is awesome, how Josh Bailey inspires song, and Tom Kuhnhackl being some veteran savant at age 27.
- Jordan Eberle was thrilled to get his first NHL goal after being a scapegoat in Edmonton. [NHL | Isles]
- Anthony Beauvillier was out yesterday for a “maintenance day,” so if there are any lineup changes you’d be wise to look there first. But Trotz sounded unconcerned. [Newsday]
- Ryan Pulock and Adam Pelech have become the Isles’ top pair (a fact that may catch Pittsburgh and national observers by surprise). [Newsday | Athletic]
- Narrative: Tom Kuhnhackl is a wily playoff vet. [Isles]
- Noel and Dan P. looked back at Game 1 and previewed Game 2 on the latest IslesBuzz podcast. [LHH]
- Brian Burke is calling six playoff games in seven days and that is just fine. [Newsday]
- So many guys impressed Barry Trotz, Mathew Barzal being one of them in his playoff debut. [Newsday | Post]
- Lou says nobody’s thinking about free agency or evaluation, they’re just thinking about Game 2, but you can have your fun deciding how he’s done. [Post]
- Robin Lehner is great. [Post]
- All in all, yesterday was a happy day with the Isles glad to have seized the “momentum is everything” with a Game 1 win. [SNY]
- But they know they have to be better to take Game 2. [Newsday | Post]
- My favorite images and clips from Game 1. [LHH]
- Some additional great visuals here too, from a photographer calling it the best playoff atmosphere they’ve ever experienced. [DKPittsburgh]
- Oh look, Deadspin notices that about the Coliseum too, without snark.
- Evidently Doc Emrick and Pierre…McGuire get to call Game 2 for NBC so they’re looking forward to the Coliseum atmosphere. [Newsday]
- Things the Penguins or their fans should be angry about. [Trib Live]
- They must “get down to business” to answer the Isles in Game 2. [NHL]
- Shannon Hogan discusses gender barriers in sports broadcasting. [WNYC]
- Bridgeport Report: Also playoffs, baby, wow. [Sound Tigers]
Last night’s NHL scores include series openers: Washington over Carolina, Toronto over Boston, Calgary steamrolling Colorado. Tonight, four series are back in action for Game 2 (Dallas and Nashville wait till tomorrow).
- Reaction to the Hurricanes loss from Canes Country. … the Bruins loss from Stanley Cup of Chowder. … and reaction at Matchsticks & Gasoline as the Flames enjoy a Mike Smith shutout
- Former Islanders property Carter Verhaeghe took the long road to an AHL All-Star nod. [Syracuse]
- Hey, that’s not fair: The Golden Knights are adding a KHLer mid-playoffs. [THN]
- Connor McDavid is getting additional opinions on his leg injury. [Sportsnet]
- Dale Tallon has a storied career as a player, announcer and GM and has no regrets, other than maybe a little bit of expansion draft oops. [Athletic]