Also: Saying farewell to the Coliseum and hoping the people carry that atmosphere to the new venue.
With Game 3 of the Stanley Cup final tonight, hopefully one of these mornings I’ll wake up and the fact the Islanders aren’t in that series will no longer sting.
Today is not that morning.
Perhaps this can cheer me up?
What a ride.
— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) July 2, 2021
- We saw it in some of the hype videos, now here’s more from the coach and from captain Anders Lee himself about how he was there for his teammates while on IR during the playoff run. Had to be the toughest job he’s had: “I took it on as a new way to be challenged and reflect on myself and do the best that I could to help our team win.” [Isles]
- It still stings: In their initial post-season episode of PTIsles, Joe and Noel are joined by IslesBlog’s Rob Taub to discuss the Lightning-Islanders series, share Coliseum memories, and look ahead to the offseason. [LHH]
- It’s tempting to view the last two years’ run to the semifinal as an echo of those pre-Cup teams in the late ‘70s. We can hope. [Isles Blog]
- Another look at the Islanders’ expansion draft protection choices. [am NY]
- Speaking of which, Scott Mayfield had a big playoff and may have changed some skeptical minds. [Empire Sports]
- Scenes from the final Islanders tailgate at Nassau Coliseum. [Greater Long Island]
- The Canadiens head home in a 0-2 hole, but they (have to) believe the series is a long way from being over. [Sportsnet] They’ll hope that Carey Price doesn’t have another he’s-human-after-all moment at the wrong time.
- We have a trade to announce: The Kings, who have a bunch of picks, acquire Viktor Arvidsson from the Predators for a couple of those picks. [On the Forecheck | NHL]
- Jack EIchel’s agent says the player and the Sabres are nearing a resolution on how to handle his herniated disc in his neck. [Sportsnet | TSN] The Flames, among others, have no shot at acquiring the malcontent Sabres captain. [Sportsnet]
- The Coyotes made it official, naming Andre Tourigny their new head coach. [Five For Howling] He should be a great fit in Arizona. [Sportsnet 31 Thoughts podcast]
- The Red Wings named Alex Tanguay an assistant coach. [TSN]
- Brooks: Like many teams, the Rangers will have to shed some players to do what they need to do. [Post]
- Here are the top free agent priorities for the Canadian teams, which are the only teams TSN covers. [TSN]