NHL teams move their pieces around before the season-opening roster deadline.
Today is the deadline for season-opening rosters, so we’ll see what hints and leaks are in store before that 5 p.m. EDT deadline.
A few things pertinent to this:
- Erik Gustafsson was released from his PTO and has signed with the Chicago Blackhawks, the Hawks officially announcing that move this morning. Not so much for today but for this season, that’s space-clearing good news for Robin Salo and Sebastian Aho.
- The Zdeno Chara and Zach Parise contracts were (finally) filed with the league, and are no surprise: minimum $750,000 base salary plus $750,000 more in achievable performance bonuses. That would make them $1.5 million cap hits, though the bonus parts can be kicked down the road to next year’s cap if needed.
Hearing #Isles have sent four of their remaining waiver-exempt players to Bridgeport in advance of today’s 5 p.m. roster deadline.
Robin Salo, Samuel Bolduc, Anatolii Golyshev and Jakub Skarek all headed to the AHL.
Still leaves at least one forward spot to resolve.
— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) October 11, 2021
Thomas Hickey and Richard Panik clear waivers. No #Isles placed on waivers today. Should make for an interesting 27 hours until Lou Lamoriello has to submit his opening-day roster to the NHL offices.
— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) October 10, 2021
And the Semyon Varlamov undisclosed injury situation continues to linger…
Varlamov not practicing with #Isles this morning.
— Brian Compton (@BComptonNHL) October 11, 2021
Meanwhile and Elsewhere…
- Meanwhile, Steve had a comprehensive roundup of season previews and other news on Sunday (SO many pundits picking the Islanders, I don’t like it), but here are some other bits as we await word on final (for now) rosters today…
- In a Very Special episode of Islanders Anxiety, Dan and Mike talk about the rest of the league in an anxiety-fueled season preview. [LHH]
- Frans Nielsen has signed with Berlin in the German league. [Eisbaeren]
- Pending free agent and two-time Cup winner Jon Cooper gets a three-year extension in Tampa. [NHL]
- AP writers preview the season, and a disturbing number of them pick the Islanders to make the finals and/or win it all. [AP]
- A far more important season preview: UniWatch! [Inside Hook]
- Sidney Crosby is skating again, so he shouldn’t be out too long. [NHL]
- In the meantime, it sounds like the Penguins will sign Brian Boyle. [TSN]
- Alex Ovechkin is just “day to day” after hurting himself trying to check a guy from behind. [NHL]
- Travis Hamonic, who never reported to training camp, was put on waivers by the Canucks [Updated] and the Province now reports that is “related to vaccine protocol.” Kyle Turris of the Oilers is another prominent name placed on the free bin. [TSN]
- A full Seattle Kraken preview from our new SBN site covering the expansion team. [Davey Jones Locker Room]