Leo Komarov is the Islanders’ C-3PO. A very useful translator that is also extremely annoying.
(Note: this was recorded hours before the report of Ryan Pulock’s eight-year contract extension. We’ll get to that next week.)
Mike and Dan ponder the Islanders’ finalized roster and what it means to finally root for a team with Stanley Cup expectations.
They look at who’s in and who’s in Bridgeport, the long, strange trip of Michael Dal Colle and how Lou Lamoriello uses every ounce of time he has to squeeze the most cap space out of his players. Later, they examine the shift in aspirations the Islanders have gone through over the previous decades and how this season’s lofty predictions will make every game weight that much more.
They also talk about the NHL’s new broadcast partners, the bizarre admiration of the Tkachuk Family and other disseminated talking points from the season’s start.
Had a little trouble with the opening theme this week so it might not be in there. Don’t be alarmed, it’ll be back next week.
- The Islanders site’s season preview sets-up each player’s season, and gives a glimpse into Leo the Translator.
- Lou Lamoriello’s pre-season presser. Lots of good info with very few facial expressions.
- Check out IslesFix and sign up for their free newsletter.
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Our sponsor this season is VintageIceHockey.com, where you can buy shirts, hoodies and mugs featuring logos and colors of over 100 classic hockey teams, as well as our own Al Arbour tribute shirts. Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order. Our portion of all sales of the Arbour shirts or any using the discount code will be donated to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: “Sports” by Josh Spacek.
Closing Song: “Blank Space” by Taylor Swift.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.