[record scratch] uh.. what?
Mike & Dan interrupt themselves to discuss the breaking trade of Devon Toews to the Avalanche, then travel back in time to cover the first few days of NHL free agency. They try to make sense of the deal and what the return could mean for future deals that would help the Islanders out of their precarious salary cap situation.
They also discuss the (now finalized) acquisition of goalie Cory Schneider and a possible trade of Johnny Boychuk, while taking an wide overview of a very vanilla free agent class and NHL teams making moves without actually improving. In the back half, they look back at the Islanders career of Thomas Greiss, who signed with Detroit over the weekend, and peek in at another milestone on the road to UBS Arena.
Along the way they laugh about contract mistakes of the past, present and future.
- So, yeah, five minutes after we finish recording, this happened.
- A little while after, the Schneider signing was finalized, too.
- Earlier in the day, Arthur Staple wrote about why the Islanders were so quiet in the first days of free agency (and in a roundabout way, foretold what would happen in order for them to pick up some trade sweeteners).
- Here’s a quick look at the UBS Arena topping off ceremony from last Friday.
- And in case you missed it or were region locked out, I highly recommend watching this, which was definitely the most-talked about segment of TSN’s Free Agency show. Thanks to Francesca for capturing it.
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Our sponsor this season is VintageIceHockey.com, where you can buy shirts, hoodies and mugs featuring logos and colors of over 100 classic hockey teams, as well as our own Al Arbour tribute shirts. Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order. Our portion of all sales of the Arbour shirts or any using the discount code will be donated to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: “Sports” by Josh Spacek.
Closing Song: “I’ll Wait” by Van Halen. RIP EVH.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.